Exercise 10.2 - Add a menu item from a Standard page
In this exercise you will learn how to create a menu item in the main navigation menu of the site, which links to an existing page.
- 1.Navigate to the content management listing, by clicking on the Content option in the Admin menu.
- 2.Locate a piece of content that is of type "Standard page":
- either try to spot one by looking in the "Content type" column in the table,
- or use the filtering section above the table, to select "Standard page" as the content type, and then click the "Filter" button.
- 3.Once you have spotted a piece of content of type "Standard page", click on the link with its name/title (in the "Title" column). That should take you to the actual page where this content lives on the site. Tip: notice how the "View" horizontal tab above the page title is highlighted, to indicate that you are viewing the content.
- 4.Click the "Edit" option in the list of horizontal tabs. That should take you to the edit form for this piece of content. Tip: notice how the "Edit" tab is highlighted now, to indicate that you are editing the content.
- 5.In the right-hand sidebar, click the "Menu settings" option to expand it. Tip: if you do not see the "Menu settings" option, then it means that you have selected a type of content that does not allow for menu options. Go back to step 2 of this exercise, and make sure that you select a piece of content that is of type "Standard page".
- 6.With the "Menu settings" option expanded, click the "Provide a menu link" checkbox/switch. That action should reveal further options/settings.
- 7.The "Menu link title" setting is by default pre-populated with the title of the piece of content you are editing. You can choose to leave it as is, or change it to something more unique (for example add the text 'Example menu item'). Tip: Page titles may often be lengthy, but with menu items it is best practice to keep them short. Consider a page on your site with a title of "More information about Our Agency". When creating a menu item for this page on the main navigation of your site, you may want to have the title of the menu be "About us", or simply "About".
- 8.In the "Parent Item" dropdown, select the "< Main navigation >" option.
- 9.Make sure that the "Current state" option at the top of the right-hand sidebar is set to "Published". If not, then use the "Change to" select to change it to that.
- 10.Click the "Save" button at the top-right of the page.
- 11.Click on the "Home" item in the breadcrumbs at the top-left of the page, to navigate back to the front-end of the site.
- 12.Review the change to the menu in the Main navigation (you should see the new menu item 'Example menu item' in the menu).