Exercise 2.3: Create a content type
Different content types meet different content requirements while ensuring consistency across a type of content. Content types are set up with text boxes and structured through pull-down menus and check boxes.
In this exercise you’ll create a Job Posting content type. The screenshot below shows the form and what the posting will look like on the website.
As the name suggests, the Job Posting content type will be used to post jobs on the website. There are three stages involved:
- 1.Create content type
- 2.Review your content type
- 3.Adjust the permissions for your new content type
- 1.Go to Structure → Content types. Click Add content type.
- 2.Next, type in the content name and description:
- Name: Job Posting
- Description: Post a job to the jobs section of the site. (The description should explain the content type.)
- 3.Next, scroll down to the configuration tabs. Under Submission form settings follow these:
- Title field label: Job title.
- Preview before submitting: Disabled.
- Explanation or submission guidelines: Leave this empty. This field lets you put in any specific instructions for the content type.
- 4.We want jobs to be published by default, but not automatically promoted to the front page, so under Publishing options use these settings:
Note: Some Content Authors (depending on their permissions) will be able to override these defaults when creating content.
- Published: Leave selected.
- Promoted to front page:: Deselect.
- Sticky at top of lists: Leave unselected.
- Create new revision: Leave selected.
- 5.We don’t want the author’s name or the content publish date displayed, so under Display settings deselect the Display author and date information option if it is selected.
- 6.We also don’t want job listings being added to the menu navigation, so under the default Menu settings, deselect Main menu.
- 7.Click Save and manage fields. This brings you to the Manage Fields admin page - admin/structure/types/manage/job_posting/fields. Review the default fields that were created for your new content type.
Image of Jobs content type fields
Go to Content → Add content and select Job posting. Review the form for your new content type.
Go to People → Permissions and change the permissions to match the other content types.
Looking back on what you’ve learnt so far during this unit, think about how you’d add a new content type, such as ‘Media conference’. What fields would you need to include? Plan out the process you’d follow to create the new content type.